Sunday, October 30, 2011

Is This the Scariest Painting Ever?


Whenever a holiday rolls around, I always try to match a work of art to it, the way a sommelier tries to match a fine wine to a meal. Halloween led me to a quest for the scariest painting of all time? What sends chills and thrills up your spine just by looking at it on a museum wall? Fright, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but I think I’ve come up with a pretty good contender for the scariest, the Halloween-iest painting of them all. Please come over to Picture This at Big Think to read more of "Is This the Scariest Painting Ever?"

[Image: Arnold Böcklin. Isle of the Dead, 1880. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY. (Image source.)]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like all things that matter it is both scary and beautiful. There is a slightly darker version of it which I find more appealing. I would also recommend Giger´s homage to Böcklin. Thanks for sharing !

Shakir Hasnain